Russell and Onward team up in Cheshire

Housebuilder Russell Homes and regional housing association Onward Homes have teamed up to develop a site in Wincham.

The partnership has submitted a planning application to Cheshire West & Chester Council for 98 detached, semi-detached and mews-style houses for a 17-acre site off the B5075 New Warrington Road, which already has an outline consent.

Forty houses are to be sold on the open market, with 40 offered for shared ownership and 18 homes at social rent through Onward.

The site is accessed by an existing entrance off New Warrington Road to the west, and is bordered by Wincham Brook to the south, private land and Heath Lane to the north, and private land to the east. The masterplan involves developing on 40% of the land, with the remaining 60% for use as public open space, an attenuation zone, and the retention of existing natural habitats and open areas.

The scheme will see Russell Homes build all 98 properties for Onward in a developer / contractor role. The partnership has been formed following the Cedar Gardens development in Heywood, where Onward took 16 of the 42 homes built by Russell Homes, for shared ownership and affordable rent. Russell is also advancing the major South Heywood masterplan, which includes 1,000-plus homes.

Daniel Kershaw, Russell Homes director, said: “This partnership model has grown out of our existing relationship with Onward as we continue to provide high quality affordable homes on developments across the region.

“By taking this to the next level and working together from the outset, the partnerships allow us to identify key locations and provide them with a large number of market-quality properties for sale, shared ownership and affordable rent, thereby meeting existing and future local demand.

Sandy Livingstone, executive director of property at Onward, said: “Working directly with experienced housebuilders like Russell Homes allows us to bring forward carefully thought-out schemes quickly that offer us and our customers high quality homes and excellent value.

“Combining our ambition to provide people with homes they will love, with their knowledge and expertise of building quality properties for sale, will benefit our tenants and buyers in the long term.”

The partnership said that with determination due early in the New Year, it would ike to begin construction in spring 2021.

Your Comments

Read our comments policy

Nice and handy for all the local amenities, so nobody will need to get in their car and drive instead of just walking.


Climate emergency? What climate emergency?

By two-step

They’ve certainly had a good go with the tree stamp

By Anonymous

Related Articles

Sign up to receive the Place Daily Briefing

Join more than 12,000 property professionals and receive your free daily round-up of built environment news direct to your inbox


Join more than 12,000 property professionals and sign up to receive your free daily round-up of built environment news direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Would you also like to receive our free PlaceTech Weekly newsletter, covering innovation in property?*