Overhaul of Chorlton Precinct moves forward 

The Greater Manchester Pension Fund is seeking a development partner to revamp the three-acre Barlow Moor Road site into a residential-led mixed-use scheme. 

The redevelopment of Chorlton Cross Shopping Centre has been in the pipeline for more than a decade and now the GMPF is embarking on a fresh push to realise the site’s potential. 

A development framework drawn up by 5plus Architects and Avison Young for Manchester City Council in 2017 suggests up to 190 homes – a mix of townhouses and apartments – could be created at the site. 

The development framework indicates potential for 177,550 sq ft of residential accommodation and 21,520 sq ft of retail and leisure space. 

At present, Chorlton Cross Shopping Centre comprises 34,600 sq ft of retail space split across 23 units, the 50,700 sq ft Graeme House office block, and a 200-space surface car park. 

GMPF aims to dispose of the site via a development agreement, with Avison Young marketing the opportunity. 

In addition, GMPF will provide the purchaser with 80% of the cash needed to fund the scheme. The buyer will front the remaining 20%. 

GMPF will not charge interest on the loan but will be entitled to 50% of development profits, according to sales documents. 

Bidders should express their interest by 7 March, while formal bids should be lodged by 31 March. A decision on a development partner is due to be made in May. 

GMPF has owned the site since April 2014 when it bought it from Development Securities, now U+I, for £10m.

Prior to that, Altrincham-based developer Citybranch, along with Manchester City Council and Ask Developments, had aborted redevelopment plans in the 2009 recession and sold the site to Development Securities in 2011.

Your Comments

Read our comments policy

I agree that the area needs an overhaul but what about the extra traffic and people? Are you going to provide new schools and doctors/dental surgeries as these are already over subscribed?

By Karen

As a regular user of the precinct, having watched it deteriorate over the last 12 years, I am very concerned by this news. Who is going to live there? Where will I shop? Where will the disabled parking facility go? Where will I go for meat and fresh veg and bread and the chemist and the craft shop and cakes and plants and fruit ? And will these flats and town houses be purpose built for the residents of Chorlton , or , are you encouraging a whole new community of people, who will have different needs to those of current residents.
Will they attract fancy bistros or posh cafes that Chorlton residents may not want? Have you ASKED ANY CHORLTON RESIDENTS WHAT THEY WANT? I wish there was a pre planning meeting so members of the actual community who USE ChorltonPrecinct NOW could HAVE THEIR SAY….at present Chorlton is a vibrant mix of young and old, families and residential housing for older people with special needs like me. I FEEL. IGNORED AND UPSET
FG. 17.4.23

By F Greenmantle

No banks, no food shops, no chemist. Cycling, walking, no cars/lunatic cyclops junction. No provision of housing suitable for the elderly. No community/no social interaction. NO CHORLTON! As I approach my seventies, with both hips already replaced (thankfully), I fear for my future living in Chorlton. Totally discriminatory Development.

By Elizabeth Doyle

People try to make Chortlon posh or like a city centre, people who want this should move to London, stop trying to force this on mancunians, it’s not what they want.


Please please could we have a Aldi or Lidl store.

By Monroe

Let’s not turn Chorlton into another Salford high rise apartments it will ruin the place Chorlton cross is a hub of the community it would ruin Chorlton

By James

Related Articles

Sign up to receive the Place Daily Briefing

Join more than 13,000 property professionals and receive your free daily round-up of built environment news direct to your inbox


Join more than 13,000 property professionals and sign up to receive your free daily round-up of built environment news direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

"*" indicates required fields

Your Job Field*
Other regional Publications - select below