Plans in for Altrincham’s Old Market Place
Plans have advanced for a comprehensive upgrade of a listed building in the town centre, purchased by Quinta Group in July last year.
The 5,000 sq ft former William H Lill Solicitors office on the market place has been vacant since 2018, when staff from the company moved to Market Street after it was bought by fellow law firm MLP.
The grade two-listed building dates to 1876 and has been extended twice, and according to Quinta’s planning consultant Iceni, is “in need of significant structural and fabric repairs and improvements, both internally and externally”.
Since buying the building last summer, the developer has been considering options for the site; originally, it was intended to demolish the extensions following consultation with Historic England, but these were knocked back by Trafford Council during pre-application discussions.
Instead, the planning application put forward by Quinta will see a full refurbishment of around 2,700 sq ft of offices to front of the building; this could potentially be brought forward as co-working space, given Altrincham’s current shortage of high-quality office space.
The extensions will be retained and converted into four residential units – one two-bed mews house, one one-bed mews house, and two one bedrooms apartments.
An existing ginnel, blocked up at some point during the building’s history, will be reinstated to provide access to the residential courtyard from Old Market Place, while there will also be access from Tabley Mews to the rear.
The project is understood to be fully funded with Quinta Group looking to begin the build as soon as possible, subject to planning consent from Trafford Council.
As well as planner Iceni, the professional team includes architect View Associates; Sandy Brown; Highway Associates; and Stephen Levrant Heritage Architects.