Application in for Vita’s 36-storey St John’s tower

The developer is progressing the second of its two towers on the Water Street site previously owned by Allied London, a 250,000 sq ft building containing 374 apartments. 

Vita has already submitted an application for a 32-storey tower comprising 388 co-living apartments as the first scheme under its Union Living brand, and Bam is lined up as lead contractor. 

Now, it has submitted an application for a 36-storey tower at the site in the St John’s area of Manchester city centre.

Although four storeys taller than its neighbour, the proposed second building provides fewer flats due to the fact that three floors are given over entirely to 21,500 sq ft of co-working space, according to the application lodged with Manchester City Council. 

Shared cluster flats of two, three and four bedrooms will make up around 80% of the residential offer with the remaining 20% given over to studio apartments.

Deloitte is planning consultant and Denton Corker Marshall is the architect.

Vita bought the site for the first tower within the Enterprise City development zone last May, after Allied London had won consent for two 36-storey towers to be named Dime and Nickel in 2017. It had an option to buy the second site but a sale has not yet been finalised. 

Enterprise City falls within the St John’s regeneration zone, which is undergoing a £1bn revamp courtesy of Manchester Quays, a joint venture between Allied London and Manchester City Council. 

Major developments being brought forward at Enterprise City include Factory and Manchester Goods Yard, which is due to complete next February. 

Union Living Towers 2

Vita’s co-living towers as seen from Castlefield Bowl (Credit: Our Studio)

Your Comments

Read our comments policy

Related Articles

Sign up to receive the Place Daily Briefing

Join more than 13,000 property professionals and receive your free daily round-up of built environment news direct to your inbox


Join more than 13,000 property professionals and sign up to receive your free daily round-up of built environment news direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

"*" indicates required fields

Your Job Field*
Other regional Publications - select below