Work has started on the affordable homes aspect of the wider Trafford Gardens scheme. Credit: via planning documents

Work starts on £7m rent-to-buy Trafford homes

Construction has begun on 33 properties, which are part of a wider development of nearly 150 residences.

Irwell Valley Homes is behind the affordable housing aspect of the Trafford Gardens development in Stretford, near Old Trafford Cricket Ground. They are due for completion in spring 2025.

The not-for-profit housing provider is building 29 one and two-bedroomed apartments, along with four two-bedroomed town houses which will be available on a rent-to-buy basis.

It is part of a wider development with Linear Living who are overseeing the development of 116 one and two-bedroomed apartments in a separate block.

These will be for private sale and rent with contractor Linear Design and Construct.

Irwell is funding the £7m development of its homes through its own private finance arrangements. Linear Living has received £1.69m from Greater Manchester Combined Authority through its Brownfield Land Fund.

The Irwell homes will be offered at a rent for 80% of the market rate, allowing the remaining 20% to be saved towards a deposit.

Trafford Gardens, P, Irwell Valley

Ground breaks on Irwell Valley’s affordable homes at Trafford Gardens. Credit: via Irwell Valley Homes

Features of the homes include Juliet balconies, fitted kitchens and outside communal spaces.

Sasha Deepwell, chief executive of Irwell Valley Homes, said: “It’s exciting to be breaking ground on this ambitious new development in the popular borough of Trafford, close to Manchester city centre.

“Rent-to-buy homes are a fantastic opportunity for people who need a bit of backing to get their foot on the property ladder and we’re delighted to be investing in these as part of our current development strategy.

“We’re looking forward to seeing this site grow into a vibrant and sustainable community over the next 15 months.”

Cllr Ged Cooney, GMCA portfolio lead for housing, said: “It’s great to see work begin on delivering more much-needed affordable homes in our city-region.

“Our Brownfield Housing Fund is playing a key role in unlocking land across Greater Manchester, as we work with partners to meet growing housing need.

“Developing brownfield sites will help us provide new, sustainable, high-quality homes and support skilled construction jobs and apprenticeships.”

Cllr James Wright, Trafford Council’s executive member for housing and advice, added: “Trafford Council is totally committed to the building of more new and affordable homes and I am delighted that work has started on the latest scheme in Stretford.

“We are in a housing crisis so it is vital more affordable homes are built to ensure more people can get on the property ladder.”

To view the application documents, search for reference number 101044/FUL/20 on Trafford Council’s planning portal.

Your Comments

Read our comments policy

Related Articles

Sign up to receive the Place Daily Briefing

Join more than 13,000 property professionals and receive your free daily round-up of built environment news direct to your inbox


Join more than 13,000 property professionals and sign up to receive your free daily round-up of built environment news direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

"*" indicates required fields

Your Job Field*
Other regional Publications - select below