Experts discuss a legal mechanism increasingly being used by the property industry to mitigate uncertainty around how buildings might be occupied, in this Place North West podcast sponsored by law firm Kuits Solicitors.
Felicity Tulloch, head of licensing at Kuits, and Chris Middleton, commercial manager at developer Bruntwood, explore the benefits and uses of licences in principle with Place North West editor Sarah Townsend.
Questions asked in this episode:
- What exactly are licences in principle and how can they help developers and councils?
- Why has use of licences in principle grown in recent years?
- In what circumstances might developers use licences in principle as opposed to more retrospective licensing strategies?
- How can licences in principle support urban regeneration projects and the drive towards boosting local economies in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic?
- Can licences in principle be applied to public realm and entire sites as well as individual units?
- What are local authorities doing to encourage their use?