Manchester pulls MIPIM stand
After more than 20 years exhibiting at the annual property convention, the city has decided not to take a stand at MIPIM 2022 and will instead have only a small delegation of senior figures in Cannes next March, citing lack of stakeholder appetite and ongoing Covid concerns for the reduced presence.
Marketing Manchester, the public agency that runs the city’s MIPIM programme, said it views 2022 as a “review year” and will make a decision on its position for 2023 at a later date.
“The Manchester at MIPIM Partnership is a public-private sector partnership that has grown, developed and adapted over the past 20 years,” said Sheona Southern, managing director of Marketing Manchester.
“Following much consultation with those partners, it has been decided that in 2022 the Manchester at MIPIM Partnership will not be exhibiting at MIPIM with a presence of the size and scale as previously.”
Joanne Roney, chief executive of Manchester City Council, added: “A small delegation from Manchester will attend MIPIM 2022 to review the potential for future activity at the event…to promote Greater Manchester’s built environment and brand Manchester in the coming years.”
A survey conducted by Marketing Manchester during the summer found that three quarters of respondents from the partnership did not want to attend MIPIM 2022. Manchester had nearly 100 partner companies and more than 200 individuals in its 2019 delegation. Partners had paid between £6,500 and £18,000 to support the city at the 2020 show before it was called off due to Covid. Partial refunds were later awarded.
“The ongoing Covid-19 situation and the financial implications of investing in MIPIM are both significant variables at this time,” a statement from Marketing Manchester said.
The city council said Manchester intended to “evolve and grow” the city region’s presence on the national and international stage, and is exploring new partnership activities.
However, many developers and property advisers are still planning to attend next year’s comeback show. Mike Ingall, managing director of Allied London, branded the city’s decision not to exhibit as “nonsense”. “This is the year Manchester needs to firmly set out its message,” he said. “A physical presence is key. There has been a significant change in civic leadership and the new leadership needs to set out its intention on a public international stage, sending a clear message to facilitate, enable, and procure global inward investment.”
As well as Ingall’s Allied London, Progressive Living, Urban Splash, CBRE, Colliers, Cushman & Wakefield, JLL, Knight Frank, and Savills will all be there. JMW Solicitors has announced it will be taking its largest ever delegation to MIPIM 2022.
In November, around 75% of exhibitors from the 2019 edition had confirmed they would be attending the event, according to a MIPIM spokesperson.
Cheshire & Warrington LEP told Place North West it will not be attending MIPIM next year. Liverpool and Lancashire are planning to be there.
Place North West is gearing up for the event and has a variety of opportunities available for MIPIM 2022.
- Roundtables: Held in-person and turned into videos later, these roundtables can stand the test of time and reach a wider audience than a more traditional roundtable ever could.
- ‘Fireside’ chats: These intimate one-on-one video interviews provide a more informal setting that’s perfect for digging into complex and important topics in a way that’s accessible to those at MIPIM and beyond.
- Vox pops: Capture the excitement of your announcements, launches and events with quick video interviews with your attendees.
- Sponsorship of Place MIPIM Closing Drinks: a networking drinks event for around 500 guests. With high-profile guests enjoying a relaxed beach setting, sponsoring Place MIPIM Closing Drinks is the perfect, hassle-free way to get your brand in front of significant figures at MIPIM. Already sponsored by Mills & Reeve, Altus Group and essensys.
- Advertising: Before and during MIPIM, get your brand in front of the readers of PlaceTech and Place North West in multiple ways, including website banners, an advertorial piece, branded editorial reports and more.
For more information or to book opportunities, contact Place commercial director Dino Moutsopoulos by calling 07803 988 112 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org