12 North West schools added to govt’s rebuilding programme
RAAC has been found in 234 schools across the country, leading the government to commit to rebuilding or refurbishing at least one block in 119 institutions – with the other 110 to receive grants to fund the removal of reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete.
RAAC is a lightweight form of concrete that rose to prominence in the 1950s and 1960s. If damaged, the material is prone to catastrophically collapse with little notice – which makes its presence in roofs particularly problematic. The presence of RAAC has already forced the temporary closures of Cumberland’s Sands Centre auditorium and Preston’s Guild Hall.
The Department for Education has been crafting its list of state-funded schools, nursery, and further education colleges in England that have RAAC. Yesterday, its published its latest report.
This detailed the adding of 119 schools to the government’s Schools Rebuilding Programme, 12 are in the North West. Greater Manchester has eight, Cheshire two, and Lancashire two.
Regarding the schools that will receive grants for RAAC removal, 14 are in the North West. Greater Manchester again dominates this portion, with 10 schools receiving funds. Cheshire and Liverpool City Region each have one school on this list, while Lancashire has two.
It is worth noting that Cockermouth School in Workington, where RAAC was found last year, was not included in the list of facilities to receive funding. The government said that action has already been taken to ensure the safety of the building.
Below is the full list of North West schools impacted. See the full list on the Department for Education website.
Schools added to the rebuilding programme
- All Saints C of E Primary School
- Bramhall High School
- Canon Slade School
- Dean Trust Rose Bridge
- St Andrew’s CofE Primary School
- St Bernard’s RC Primary School
- St Thomas’ Church of England Primary School Stockport
- Thornleigh Salesian College
- Ellesmere Port Catholic High School
- Sandbach School
- Bispham Endowed Church of England Primary School
- Our Lady’s Catholic High School
Schools to receive grants
- Altrincham College
- Atherton St George’s CofE Primary School
- Cheadle Hulme High School
- Marple Sixth Form College
- The Oldham College
- Royal College Manchester
- Royal School, Manchester
- Sale Grammar School
- St Stephen and All Martyrs’ CofE School, Lever Bridge
- St William of York Catholic Primary School
- The Macclesfield Academy
Liverpool City Region
- Dixons Broadgreen Academy
- Haslingden St James Church of England Primary School
- Knuzden St Oswald’s Church of England Primary Academy