A man operating a digger has been seriously hurt whilst carrying out demolition work at Lancashire County Cricket Club's Old Trafford ground.
Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service said fire crews from Salford and Moss Side together with an enhanced rescue unit from Ashton were called to Brian Statham Way in Old Trafford at 3.51pm on Tuesday 26 April.
In a statement the Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service added: "On arrival firefighters were faced with a man who had been hit by a large concrete block whilst operating a JCB digger.
"The man was assessed by both firefighters and members of the Northwest Ambulance Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) on site, and was later transferred to hospital by land ambulance suffering from a fracture to the tibia and fibia in both legs."
The 30 year old man was carrying out demolition work to a stand at the ground.
The Health & Safety Executive said an inspector had visited the site on Wednesday morning and will confirm if a full investigation will be taking place.
Lancashire County Cricket Club said in a statement: "We are aware of the incident and our immediate thoughts are with the person who was injured.
"As the incident is being investigated, it would be inappropriate for us to make any further comment."
Lancashire County Cricket Club has started work on phase two of redeveloping Old Trafford despite facing legal opposition from Derwent Holdings, Albert Gubay's company which owns White City Retail Park nearby.
Plans by the club, Tesco and property partner Ask Developments include a 100,000 sq ft store by the supermarket giant as part of the £32m redevelopment of the ground.
The second phase is part of a £70m overall development that includes the completed The Point conference suite.