GALLERY | Tomorrow’s Developer
Building their network and growing their knowledge, the next generation of housebuilders gathered in Manchester on Tuesday to hear from a panel of experts about what it’s like being a developer today.
Close Brothers Property Finance’s Tomorrow’s Developer event was focused on providing aspiring property professionals with a base knowledge of the next steps in their career journey. A panel discussion with Dalbergia’s David Boyes, Heaton Group’s John Heaton, and Quinta Group’s Neal Hunter – and hosted by Close Brothers’ Joanne Parr – did just that.
Here were some of the main takeaways from the panel:
- The importance of location cannot be overstated, so do not pick a site at random
- Local knowledge is incredibly important. Do your research ahead of time to fill your head with everything you need to know about an area and potential customers
- Networking is vital, with each panelist stressing the need to get out there, make connections, and follow through with meetings after
- Reputation is everything, so do not overpromise and underdeliver. Showing that you can do what you promise is key to building relationships with local authorities
- It is not an easy time to join the development world and more needs to be done to help small and medium-sized developers stack up projects – something each of the panelists said they hoped the government would prioritise by improving the planning process
Tomorrow’s Developer was held at The Dome at the ABC Buildings in Manchester. Close Brothers conducts Tomorrow’s Developer events across the UK, each geared towards helping equip future housebuilders and developers with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed. To learn more about the programme and future events, visit closepropertyfinance.com/tomorrows-developer.
Click any image to launch gallery