RIBA North West: The Building Regulations challenge – achieving compliance considering the latest rules and guidance
With an ever increasing complexity within Building Regulations, and further additional elements being brought within the scope of the Approved Documents from their original concept, achieving compliance can be a difficult task. This session will be in two parts:
1. Thermal efficiency: with the government scrapping the Code for Sustainable Homes and Zero Carbon Homes targets, where does this leave Approved Document L? This part of the session will explore:
- What standards are applicable, and how are these best applied to achieve compliance
- How technical planning conditions are likely to be used in relation to thermal efficiency and carbon reduction
- What does the future look like in light of EU legislation and government targets for carbon emission reduction
2. Fire safety principles: there are many differing approaches to fire safety for domestic buildings, so where does this leave you as an architect? This part of the session will review the principles of fire safety design and explore:
- Considerations and solutions for designing open plan layouts
- Recent determinations by government relevant to Approved Document B
- Case studies and examples
The aim of this seminar will be to provide clarity on key issues of Building Regulations compliance, through practical examples and principles, whilst allowing sufficient time for interaction and questions from the delegates throughout.
Speaker: Colin Blatchford-Brown, Blatchford Brown Limited
Colin has been in the building control profession for nearly thirty years, both in the public and private sectors. He understands and appreciates the increasing complexity of Building Regulations’ requirements and the potential conflicts they create within building design. Colin has worked on a wide variety of projects, and is currently involved in large scale projects in London together with the Hinkley Point C nuclear power station. Presenting regularly to the industry, he is keen to share his knowledge on practical application of the Building Regulations, breaking down the ever more detailed Approved Documents into easily applied principles, to make architectural design more straightforward.
Core Curriculum topics: 1. Compliance 2. Climate
This event is also running in Manchester. Click here for more information.