The UK has ambitions to be a global science and technology superpower by 2030 and venture capitalists are paying attention – more than doubling their investment in the life science sector last year, according to CBRE’s 2023 UK Real Estate Market Outlook.
Our panel of industry experts will weigh in on innovations in developing life science labs, the potential for retrofit, and solutions around net zero conundrums around these spaces. You can also expect to hear more about the levelling up agenda, investment zones, and the push for clusters.
8am Arrival, networking and breakfast
9.00am Welcome from Dan Whelan, senior reporter, Place North West
9.05am Case study: The Paterson cancer research centre
Stuart Pepper, chief laboratory officer, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute
9.25am Presentation: Jamie Bottomley, director, Track Real Estate
9.40am Panel discussion: State of the market—how hot is the life sciences sector?
Dace Dimza-Jones, deputy head of Northern Powerhouse life sciences, Department for Business & Trade
Megan Young, consultant R&D technical, Ryan
Jamie Bottomley, director, Track Real Estate
Alexandra Murphy, principal associate, Mills & Reeve
10.20am Refreshment and networking break
10.50am Presentation: Mark Adey, managing director, Fairhursts Design Group
11.05am Panel discussion: Labs of the future – A deep dive into how to create a powerful life sciences development
Mark Adey, managing director, Fairhursts Design Group
Mark Walker, director, Hydrock
Jamie Young, principal design manager, Wates
Rachael Stevens, head of partnerships, Sciontec
Will Fogden, senior development manager, Kadans
11.50am Closing remarks, lunch and further networking
- ALEXANDRA MURPHY, MILLS & REEVE |
Alexandra is a leader in the life science sector and investment work at Mills & Reeve. She has diverse experience in property investment work including high value acquisitions and real estate development.
- DACE DIMZA-JONES, DEPARTMENT FOR BUSINESS & TRADE |Dace plays a significant role in boosting investment in the North of England and helps the region achieve ambitions aligned with levelling up priorities, with a primary focus on the life sciences sector.
- MARK ADEY, FAIRHURSTS DESIGN GROUP | Mark will be speaking about life science projects including Alderley Park, University of Cambridge Heart & Lung Facility, and University of Warwick Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research Building.
- MARK WALKER, HYDROCK |As the director in Hydrock's national MEP division, Mark also serves as the healthcare sector lead for the team. Projects Mark has worked on include the strategy feasibility report conducted for the Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. This project involved exploring several options to establish a net-zero carbon energy centre.
- STUART PEPPER, CANCER RESEARCH UK MANCHESTER INSTITUTE | Stuart has over 40 years’ experience working for Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, he set up the first molecular biology core facility and provided access to cutting edge technologies to support research.
- WILL FOGDEN, KADANS | Kadans is a leader in ecosystem development investment across a European portfolio. Will spearheads R&D projects in urban clusters like Manchester, King's Cross Knowledge Quarter, and Oxfordshire campuses, offering a holistic approach from project conception to construction.
- JAMIE YOUNG, WATES | Jamie will share his insights on managing the design process for a range of life science projects, which includes a significantly complex project for UKHSA the £400m refurbishment of an old laboratory into an office and high-security laboratories.
- MEGAN YOUNG, RYAN | Megan will discuss the options available to research and development businesses around tax relief and capital allowances that can support innovation and fuel development, helping companies to maximize opportunities in the life science sector.
- JAMIE BOTTOMLEY, TRACK REAL ESTATE | Specialising in advising landlords and occupiers in the life sciences sector, Bottomley will provide a snapshot of how the market is performing and will highlight the supply and demand dynamic in the North West.
- RACHAEL STEVENS, SCIONTEC | As the Head of Partnerships and External Relations at KQ Liverpool, Rachael is instrumental in shaping the district's collaborative ecosystem.
Tickets cost £70+VAT. There will be a mix of presentations and panels. Breakfast and lunch are included, providing plenty of opportunity for business development.
Book using the form below – if you can’t see the form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This event is sponsored by Fairhursts Design Group, Mills & Reeve, Ryan, Wates, and Hydrock.
View sponsorship opportunities