York-based William Anelay has been appointed to upgrade the Grade II-listed Florence Institute in Toxteth, Liverpool.
The £4.7m restoration project will involve the creation of an exhibition and performance space, an indoor and outdoor sport area, work areas for local businesses and a Heritage Resource Centre.
Built in 1889 by Sir Bernard Hall, a merchant and former Mayor of Liverpool, the building was named after his daughter Florence who died while in Paris at the age of 22. Famous members of the boys' club included pop star Gerry Marsden and boxer John Conteh. The club closed in the late 1980s.
Funding is being secured from The Heritage Lottery Fund, the North West Development Agency, European Regional Development Fund, and Tudor Trust for the project.
Manchester-based Buro Four Project Services advised the charitable trust that owns the derelict site on the appointment of a main contractor.
The project is due to be completed by July 2011.