Merseyrail Electrics has awarded Serco with a design and development contract for the second phase of redevelopment of Liverpool Central train station.
Serco has been appointed for the design and development of upgrades and enhancements to the train station including:
- The remodelling of ticket gates
- Provision of new passenger lounge
- Upgrade of passenger toilet facilities
- Upgrading of the station concourse including new wall, ceiling and floor finishes,
- Upgrade of lighting
- Inclusion of enclosed route to lifts within the concourse
- Upgrading of Northern Line platform including provision of new suspended ceiling and enhanced lighting
- Introduction of new station staff facilities
Merseyrail Electrics said that the outline and detailed designs to be produced are to conform to stakeholder, regulatory and relevant Network Rail approvals requirements. All necessary site investigations, design costing and other ancillary activities are to be undertaken as part of the design and development.
The value of the contract was not disclosed.