Developer Salboy is inviting public views on proposals for a site in Shudehill, which was previously refused permission for a 13-storey aparthotel this year, as one of two new residential schemes planned for the area.
On the site on Back Turner Street and High Street, Salboy has gone back to the drawing board with an updated proposal featuring 50 apartments, including one, two, and three-bed flats as well as town houses and duplex apartments. There will also be commercial space at ground floor level.
A higher glazed level will face Shudehill with the level dropping to five storeys facing High Street; the two levels will be connected by a new area of public realm.
The previous proposals for the site – a 13-storey aparthotel to be operated by Zoku – were refused by Manchester City Council’s planning committee on the basis of height in February this year after three previous deferrals. Planning officers had each time recommended the scheme for approval.
Salboy is now holding a public consultation on the updated plans and the developer said it was looking to receive feedback on the height options for the Shudehill side of the building before it submits a planning application. The developer added the proposals for the site were “still evolving”.
Simon Ismail, director at Salboy, said: “We were naturally disappointed not to have previous proposals for Back Turner Street approved and we have worked hard to resolve the concerns raised.
“This revised residential scheme will provide the sort of homes not currently available in this neighbourhood, allowing people to put down roots and contribute to a growing community.”
The developer is also planning to consult on another proposals at the same time; this is for a site bounded by Tariff Street, Port Street, and Brewer Street, which is currently used as surface car parking.
Salboy is proposing three buildings ranging between 10 and 13 storeys in height which will feature a mix of 200 apartments and townhouses, along with a roof garden, courtyard, and a ground-floor commercial unit.
Ismail added: “We are confident that we have come up with two unique and iconic developments to add to the Northern Quarter scene and are excited to share our plans with the surrounding community.
“The public consultation phase is a very important step and we are keen to know the thoughts of the local residents and businesses. We will then be able to incorporate these ideas and opinions in our final planning applications.
“We truly believe Manchester is the best place to live in the UK and we are fully committed to helping it become one of the most influential and liveable cities in the world. We respect the unique character and buzz of the Northern Quarter and believe these designs will sit naturally alongside existing buildings but also help the area develop and grow.”
The public consultation for both schemes will take place on Wednesday 12 September between 3pm and 7pm at the Centre for Chinese Contemporary Art on Thomas Street.
Salboy, which is backed by bookmaker Fred Done, is already on site in the Northern Quarter at Tib Street, where it has appointed contractor Forrest to build a £28m apartment block on a former surface car park opposite Afflecks Palace.