The Royal Institute of British Architects has shortlisted 15 projects across the region for the RIBA North West 2015 awards.
Last year the Everyman Theatre in Liverpool won RIBA North West building of the year and went on to win the coveted Stirling Prize.
Having shortlisted from 40 entries, over the coming weeks the RIBA judging panel will be visiting all of the buildings; from MUMA's extension and redevelopment of the Whitworth Art Gallery in Manchester to the Broadway Malyan's Waitrose supermarket in Chester.
The winners will be announced at an evening event at Halle St Peters in Manchester on Thursday 16 April 2015.
As well as the prestigious Building of the Year Award, which was picked up last time by the Everyman Theatre, the shortlist will also produce a Small Project of the Year Award for those projects costing less than £500,000. Schemes from Howard Miller Design, Pearson Architects and Snook Architects are vying for this prize alongside Carmody Groarke's Maggie's Centre at Clatterbridge.
Regional winners will then be considered for a RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence on a national platform.
The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize, for the best building of the year by British architects, will be drawn from these RIBA National and EU Award winners.
The buildings on the RIBA North West shortlist are:
- 12 Jordan Street Studios, Liverpool by Pearson Architects
- All Souls, Bolton by OMI Architects
- Constellations Bar, Liverpool by Howard Miller Design
- GreenAcres Woodland Burial Parks, St Helens by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Highfield Humanities College, Blackpool by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- House in Formby, Merseyside by shed km
- Lancaster University Engineering Building, Lancaster by John McAslan + Partners
- Maggie's Merseyside at Clatterbridge, Merseyside by Carmody Groarke
- Manchester Metropolitan University Student Union, Manchester by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Manchester Town Hall Extension, Manchester by SimpsonHaugh & Partners
- Mann Island, Liverpool by Broadway Malyan
- St John Bosco Arts College, Liverpool by BDP
- The Whitworth, Manchester by MUMA
- Waitrose, Chester by Broadway Malyan
- Westmorland, Liverpool by Snook Architects
Click any image to launch gallery
Image credits: Constellations Bar by Robert Holmes, Whitworth by Alan Williams, MMU Student Union by Hufton + Crow, Highfield College by Will Pryce, 12 Jordan Street by Miles Pearson, Green Acres by Andy Paling, Manchester Town Hall by SimpsonHaugh, Lancaster University Engineering Building by Nick Guttridge, Waitrose by Edward Sumner, All souls by Daniel Hopkinson, St John Bosco by David Barbour, Mann Island by Edward Sumner, Formby house by Jack Hobhouse, Westmorland house by Andy Haslam, Maggies Centre by Luke Hayes