Nasira Majid, managing director of Manchester-based Pin Property Consultancy, was named outstanding business woman of the year at the first North West and Isle of Man Women in Business Awards.
Majid took the title at a ceremony at the Midland Hotel in Manchester sponsored by Barclays. Majid also picked up the prize for property business woman of the year, one of nine categories in the awards.
She set up Pin Property Consultancy in 2006 to asset manage the varied and often problematic sites and buildings that had been purchased by her husband Iftikhar's property company, Cantt Pak. The portfolio Majid manages includes office buildings in Birchwood and warehousing in Manor Park, Warrington.
The judges said: "Nasira has a very successful business and is clearly a key shaper of her organisation, but adding in her work to grow a business out of adversity and to developing the women in the organisation, coupled with her outside social work, all contribute to her being the Oustanding Business Woman of the Year."
Majid has made a concerted effort to hire and promote women and work with female agents and advisors.
Runners-up in the property category were Louise Morrissey, director of Peel Group, and Lucy Worrall, a social housing partner at law firm Croftons in Manchester.
Winners in other categories were:
- Jan Lord of GuideBridge MOT in Ashton under Lyne, in the innovative business woman of the year category, sponsored by LK Bennett
- Sheila Dean, managing director of the Equiom trust company on the Isle of Man, international business woman of the year, sponsored by UK Trade & Investment
- Victoria Kissack, owner of event planner Imagination Station, also on Isle of Man, young business woman of the year, sponsored by Midland Hotel
- Faria Khan, founder of children's care home Dovehall in Oldham, start-up business woman of the year, sponsored by Manchester Evening News
- Andrea Wilson-Brown, of BCH Digital in Manchester, technology business woman of the year, sponsored by Amplitude AV Services
- Leanne Goodwin, recruitment company Jobwise in Bolton, corporate business woman of the year, sponsored by Ernst & Young
- Lisa Byrne of dot-art in Liverpool, not-for-profit business woman of the year, sponsored by O2
- Lisa Forbes, of CanDoo concierge in Northwich, home-based business woman of the year, sponsored by Red Shift Radio