Bruntwood has submitted a planning application to Liverpool City Council for the restoration and refurbishment of an office within the city’s commercial district into 71 flats.
The grade two-listed Orleans House in Edmund Street was designed by Matear & Simon and was built in 1907. The property was originally used as a warehouse for Liverpool’s Cotton Exchange, which is next door and is also owned by Bruntwood.
The residential conversion of the six-storey block has been designed by Brock Carmichael, with The Planning Studio also advising Bruntwood.
Orleans House is currently vacant.
In March 2015 Bruntwood announced that it was set to spend £5m on an overhaul of the building although work did not begin.
According to the design and access statement submitted by Brock Carmichael with the application “the reduction in the demand for this type of commercial space has resulted in an oversupply within the Liverpool market.
“Orleans House has been under occupied for an extensive period of time and this proposal to convert the building from vacant commercial office to 71 residential apartments will ensure its long term viability and the maintenance of the building and its historic fabric.”