MIPIM 2019 ATMOSPHERE OUTSIDE VIEW AERIAL
Credit: © L. TINTIGNIES - Image & Co

MIPIM planning starts over

Businesses are making arrangements to attend the rescheduled property conference and exhibition in June, with the majority of delegates keen to continue with the event on its new date.

The local hospitality association in Cannes is believed to be meeting today to decide how to proceed. Decisions need to made about if and how thousands of existing bedroom and function room bookings can be moved for guests and the hundreds of corporate events planned for next week that will not now be needed. Information is due to emerge from the hoteliers and restaurateurs in the next 48 hours following that meeting.

MIPIM delegates with passes into the main event that Place North West has spoken to so far are planning on attending in June and have rebooked flights and accommodation.

Beyond attendance, marketing activity such as stand and fringe events might have to be scaled back to avoid costs doubling following the decision to move the event, some companies said, depending on budget constraints.

North West delegate groups such as city delegations are also understood to be considering holding events here next week.

Place North West and PlaceTech activity includes the Place MIPIM Closing Drinks on the Thursday, which traditionally attracts around 500 guests.

Paul Unger, publisher of Place North West, said: “This is an extraordinary turn of events and one that is rightly placing public health over commercial gain. We are in constant contact with the venues and show organiser.

“We have started contacting attendees and clients and will continue to do so as the situation becomes clearer.”

The UK prime minister is due to chair a meeting of the emergency Cobra committee later today. The number of UK cases is 36. Public Health England said widespread transmission of the virus in the UK is “highly likely”.

The first case in Greater Manchester was confirmed over the weekend when a person tested positive in Bury, having returned home from a holiday in Italy.

Lesley Jones, director of public health for Bury Council, said: “I’d like to reassure people that the risk to the general public remains low and Bury Council is working with health colleagues to do everything we can to stop the virus spreading and ensure the people of Bury are protected.

“Good hygiene is the best prevention and there are some simple steps you can take to protect you and your family by washing your hands regularly and thoroughly and if you cough, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue.

“If you have recently been to one of the affected countries and are feeling unwell, you should phone the NHS’s 111 helpline for further advice straight away – please don’t go to your doctor. There’s lots of advice on how people can protect themselves online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.”

On Monday, the OECD group of countries warned that coronavirus might cause global growth to halve this year.

Your Comments

Read our comments policy here

With so many contractors folding in recent months, I doubt not everyone will have the appetite to pay double. I doubt flights accommodation and pre-booked events are about to be refunded any time soon

By Alice in wonderland