The relocation of the cenotaph within St Peter's Square to the Cooper Street entrance of the town hall has finished.
The move is part of the wider refurbishment of St Peter's Square, which will create new public realm and allow the construction of Metrolink Second City Crossing tracks and a tram stop. The monument is now centred on both Lloyd Street and Cooper Street to allow more room for commemorative events and quiet contemplation.
Development works to the cenotaph site were started in January. The council worked closely with heritage and conservation specialists and completed a consultation with veterans' groups and church authorities.
Portland stone has been used to match the stone used when the cenotaph was originally designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1924.
Fencing will remain surrounding the new cenotaph until public realm works in St Peter's Square in front of the refurbished Town Hall Extension and Central Library are completed at the end of September.
A service will be held to mark the relocation of the cenotaph in October.
Cllr Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council, said: "In moving the cenotaph we have finally realised a truly distinctive area of the city centre that is fitting to the memorial and a real tribute to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our city and our country.
"Respect for what the cenotaph represents has always been central to these plans and we thank the veterans' and heritage groups for their input. The completion this week will allow veterans and members of the public enough time to familiarise themselves with the new cenotaph ahead of the 2014 Remembrance Sunday commemoration in November."
The design team for the St Peter's Square project is led by German landscape architect Latz + Partner, supported by Arup Associates on transport, structural and civil engineering services and Speirs & Major on lighting design. Laing O'Rourke is the contractor.