Associate Director – Transport Planning – Manchester (Ref 8222)
WSP are seeking to recruit an Associate / Associate Director to join WSPs Manchester office and take a lead role in private sector business development, project delivery, aspects of team management – specifically in Manchester but also across the M62 corridor.
The successful candidate must demonstrate a strong track record of technical excellence and team leadership.
About the team:
WSP's Development Planning Team specialises in providing integrated transport solutions, balancing engineering, planning, environmental, economic and political considerations.
The North of England Transportation team possesses a diverse range of technical specialists from strategy/policy advice, macro/micro-simulation modelling, public transport planning through to design, commissioning and validation of integrated demand management measures.
The position will involve developing the team (professionally/technically), project management (discipline specific and multi-disciplinary) and operational support, but will be also be focussed on providing support in increasing WSPs market share in the development planning arena in Manchester and across the M62 corridor to deliver business growth. The role represents an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate.
What's in it for me?
- Join a growing global business ranked in the top transport consultancies in the UK year on year
- Have room to build your career
- Help lead and grow a strong team
- Based in Salford Quays, enjoy central offices with great amenities and great views
Expectations of the role:
You will undertake project management and project direction roles on primarily private sector development planning initiatives from due diligence/constraints mapping, master planning, application support through to concept and detailed design of supporting infrastructural mitigation, representation at EiP and Inquiry support. You can expect to be active on a number of projects/client accounts at any given time. You will also have the opportunity to participate in our relevant national technical groups where appropriate.
Your role will include the day to day management and direction of projects primarily in Manchester in conjunction with the Discipline Team Leader and senior support team. You will be responsible for preparing project fee proposals, bids, budgets, resource levels and all associated QHSE, CDM and business management aspects.
Business Development, market presence and client care will be a very important aspect of this role. You will need to demonstrate success in development planning in Manchester measured by quality of product, client care, being a known figure in the regional forums/events and ability to win work.
You will need to have good written and spoken communication skills including report writing and be aware of current and emerging technical and planning guidance, including:
- Strong technical background with focus on delivery of cost effective and innovative transport solutions;
- Knowledge and experience of public sector skills sets and how they can be applied in the private sector transport market;
- Knowledge of transport legislation, policy and procedures at local, regional and national levels, including relationships with other areas of public policy such as Spatial Planning, Environmental, Health, Education, Sustainability etc; and
- An understanding of macro/micro traffic modelling to support development planning activities.
- Thorough knowledge of the planning system, interpretation of NPPF and associated discipline specific requirements;
- Overarching knowledge of the transport planning discipline from master planning, public transport operation, integrated demand management, sustainable transport strategies to support development/regeneration etc
- Operational management experience, including financial, staff and strategy
- Proven ability to facilitate multi-disciplinary teams and deliver complex, politically sensitive projects to meet stakeholder, client or customer aspirations; and
- Proven track record in the development of successful major discipline specific and multi-disciplinary bids
You will mostly like come from a Consultancy or developer background with a heavy bias on private sector work. You will have a proven record in client care/business development and be able to develop and maintain good relationships with clients.
To apply, email your CV to Shelley.Lawton@wspgroup.com