An application has been submitted by Partisan Collective to transform a grade two-listed former synagogue at 19 Cheetham Hill Road into a space for concerts, screenings, workshops and meetings.
The 5,400 sq ft building, which was built in 1840 and known as the Central Synagogue between 1894 and 1928, has gone through numerous incarnations. Currently, it is occupied by the Partisan Collective on the lower ground floor and first floor, and by Salam & Co Solicitors on the ground floor.
The building is located within the North Manchester Regeneration area, and was grade two-listed in 1974. It is currently owned by property management company Rajan Trading Company, which is based in Bury.
According to Partisan Collective, the “proposed works embrace the architectural and historical character of the building.
“The scheme offers a cultural and social role for a building which has been left empty, is currently underused and has proved difficult to reuse. The new role of the building as a community building is in line with its original use.
“While the Manchester Jewish Museum, located further away on Cheetham Hill Road, is undergoing a period of renovation and extension, it seems appropriate to carry out works that will make the building accessible and adapted to its users.
“The proposed scheme aims at minimizing alterations to the external appearance and existing fabric of the building and includes remediation works and urgent repairs. The proposed works will reveal the original timber roof structure and create a contemporary breath-taking space at first floor.
“As Partisan is becoming a major public destination for cultural and community events in Manchester, the proposed change of use and associated works will allow Partisan Collective to make the building accessible and adapted to meet the various needs of its users.”