A network of electric vehicle charging points across Greater Manchester will go live on Sunday 28 July.
The Greater Manchester Electric Vehicle scheme is led by Transport for Greater Manchester and will see more than 250 charging bays across the ten Greater Manchester local authority areas switched on.
The GMEV scheme will be operated by Charge Your Car, who will manage payments and access on behalf of TfGM.
Private sector partners, including NCP, Manchester Central, Manchester Metropolitan University, Salford University and the Intu Trafford Centre are also providing charging bays to supplement the network.
TfGM will be holding a GMEV launch event on Friday 26 July and Saturday 27 July at the Intu Trafford Centre to raise awareness of the scheme.
Visitors to the Intu Trafford Centre will be able to visit Orient Way to see electric vehicles, such as the Renault Zoe, and speak to representatives about GMEV.
They can book a test drive by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org in advance or, subject to availability on either day, simply turning up with their full driving licence.
Led by the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities, TfGM secured £1.7m of support through the Office for Low Emission Vehicle’s funded Plugged In Places scheme. The scheme has also received a further £1m from the Greater Manchester Combined Authority.
Customers wishing to use the charging bays will be able to register through the TfGM website and will receive an access card by post, register via a mobile app downloadable from the website or simply “pay as you” go by phone.
A map with all current locations can be found at ev.tfgm.com.
Charging locations include:
- Bury Market
- Ramsbottom car park
- Fairfax Road car park, Prestwich
- Octogon multi-storey car park, Coronation St
- Wright Street car park, Horwich
- Hulme Street, city centre
- NCP Church Street, city centre
- Ardwick Sports Hall
- Heaton Park
- Greenpark Road, Northenden
- Hobson Street
- Waterloo Street car park
- Kershaw Street East/Westway car park
- River Street
- Middleton Arena car park
- Corporation Road, Eccles
- Walkden Gateway, Smith Street
- Pendleton Town Centre, Hankison Way car park
- St Petersgate
- Churchgate car park
- Heaton Lane multi-storey
- Henrietta Street car park
- Ashton Pools
- Lacey Street, Stretford
- Flixton Street railway station car park, Urmston
- Leigh Town Centre, Town Hall, Market Street
- Spinning Gate pay and display car park, Leigh town centre