Salary: £45,000 - £60,000 + bonus
Contact Name: James Adamson
Telephone: 0161 669 4716
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Managing Quantity Surveyor to work for a Manchester-based property developer who specialise in residential and student accommodation new-build and refurbishment projects.
With their own design, build and site teams, they manage all building projects in-house, from architectural drawings and surveying through to build and handover to property management. They are particularly committed to the construction and refurbishment of historic buildings, transforming them into high-spec, sustainable developments.
To have experience of and the ability to manage a team of intermediate level Quantity Surveyors.
To be involved in a project from the start, approving estimates and costs of the work. When the project is in progress, be aware of any variations to the contract that may affect costs and create reports to show profitability. It is essential to demonstrate contractually strong abilities with the mind-set of a Developer and experience of Multi storey New build residential projects.
To manage all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects, from the initial calculations to the final figures. To seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality.
This includes ensuring statutory building regulations are met.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- To control and manage the QS Team, mentoring and delivering immediate improvements to the systems and operation.
- To prepare tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities with the architect and/or the client
- To assist in establishing site requirements and undertake feasibility studies
- Have the ability to create reporting systems, implement and ensure compliance in terms of using the systems and producing timely and accurate information.
- At all times to be aware of and to interrogate costs and add value to the team, the projects and the business.
- To perform risk, value management and cost control
- To advise on a procurement strategy
- To identify, analyse and develop responses to commercial risks
- To prepare and analyse costings for tenders
- To allocate work to subcontractors
- To provide advice on contractual claims
- SC Procurement & Tendering
- Preparation of budgets for site acquisitions
- Applications/ valuations
- Negotiation and drafting of final SC documents
- Managing cash flow through interim valuation processes
- Managing SCs including agreement of variations and interim payments to SCs
- Management of SC Warranties
- Preparation of internal monthly reports (CVR, Procurement schedules, Cash flow)
- To analyse outcomes and write detailed progress reports
- To value completed work and arrange payments
- To maintain awareness of the different building contracts in current use
- To understand the implications of and comply with health and safety regulations
- To undertake cost analysis for repair and maintenance project work
Personality: Self-driven, with a positive outlook, and a clear focus on high quality delivery. A forward planner, mature, credible, and comfortable in dealing at all levels and all walks, takes responsibility and accepts accountability. Able to get on with others and take responsibility.
Specific Job Skills: You need to be experienced and capable of all aspects of the Senior Quantity Surveyor role. Able to plan, communicate and give clear and concise instructions, organised and extremely thorough. Need to consistently give sufficient attention to detail, have excellent analytical skills and a practical mind and strong numerical and financial management skills.
Computer skills: To have good skills in MS Office, particularly Excel and Word, Internet and email together with relevant and appropriate industry software skills
Literacy and Numeracy: Able to understand business finance and to negotiate the best value for money whilst ensuring quality and efficiencies are not affected.
Management Ability: Need to demonstrate strong ability in both management of the requirements of the role and of the Team overall so people-management skills are essential, experience, natural ability with a Team Player outlook who has strong management skills when required.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org