Contact Name: John Tempest
Telephone: 07885 774155
Tempest Jones is retained by one of the largest not-for-profit developer and asset management organisations playing a major role in the UK housing market.
They are using their experience, scale and financial strength to deliver new homes and communities across the country. These are at a range of price points and tenures from private sale to social rent. Any profits generated are invested back into social purpose. Recently they have created their own private development company which delivers and markets homes for private sale and leads on land acquisition. They also have a strong track record on regenerating existing estates and breathing new life into communities. Over the next 5 years as part of their major mixed-use development programme across England, they will be close to a million square foot of retail and commercial assets ranging from, community centres and regeneration projects to start up retail and Grade A office units in central London.
They are now seeking a Development Manager to join their Development team in Manchester. This is an exciting time to join the company in its time of expansion that not only offers you the opportunity to develop your career but also offers the chance to develop your personal goals within a good work life balance environment.
Job Purpose and Scope:
- Be responsible and accountable for the Development Management of specific elements of a number of residential lead and mixed use developments and ensure they meet the commercial objectives defined in the relevant approvals / business plan, working closely with and reporting to the Development Director and working closely with other Development Functions.
- The role of the Development Manager is to formulate the design/development/commercial & delivery vision of a particular aspect of the project and to be fully responsible for all aspects of this work.
- Ensure the success of specific elements of the developments by having an oversight over the whole development process.
- The Development Manager will report directly to the Development Director and will attend Project Control Group (“PCG”) meetings, Risk Forum and Senior Management meetings as appropriate.
Key Tasks and Activities
- Preparation of the development brief for land lead residential projects.
- Oversee the preparation of a concept design and to prepare an outline financial appraisal of that design to show how that part of the project can make a profit, working closely with the other development functions to outline time, cost, revenue & return.
- Examine the market positioning and commercial framework of the opportunity.
- Manage the relationship with the local authorities to obtain all legal consents from them required to take forward the opportunity.
- Review all risks associated with their development responsibilities to facilitate and be responsible for preparing a formal risk register for their area of involvement.
- Champion Health and Safety on their respective development projects, working with other Development Functions to ensure with all statutory responsibilities are satisfied. Development Managers are to ensure that Health and Safety management is the first priority in all matters connected with the development and that this policy is adopted by all partners, consultants and contractors working on any part of the project.
- Consider options for land sales and enter into discussions with 3rd parties and prepare land for sale and be responsible for any land sale process if applicable.
- Be responsible for the preparation of certain legal documentation (using external lawyers as required), including S.106 Agreements and validating with other Development functions.
- Oversee the preparation of planning application material and arrange for planning application(s) to be made and liaise to obtain a planning consent, including liaising with all external Stakeholders in respect of formal and informal external consultations.
- Oversee the preparation of a detailed design (lead by Project Management & Commercial ) and monitor the financial appraisal of that design to control the financial viability and profit, time/cost/revenue & return of the opportunity.
- Obtain all legal consents, financial consents and Board/other approvals required to commence development.
- Prepare the Affordable Housing strategy for the development project in discussion with the Housing Association and the Sales team.
- Oversee the setting up and implication of a Sales and Marketing plan for the project or specific parts of the project in conjunction with the Head of Residential Sales & Marketing.
- Review direct residential market competition and prepare a project strategy for how the project can respond to the market and monitor and record the market position.
- Ensure that all management issues are considered for the project and that they integrate within an Estate Management Strategy.
- Prepare monthly/ad hoc reporting as required (e.g. Project Control Group, Investment Committee Papers)
- The Development Manager will report directly to the Development Director
- The Development Manager may report into the Senior Development Manager on a day to day basis, dependant on the regional structure
- Establishment and management of interfaces with community bodies including government, resident and business organisations, and special interest groups.
- Liaise with other departments (Project Management and Commercial, Sales, Technical, Customer Experience) for the achievement of the project’s aims.
- Liaise with joint venture partners where appropriate
Competencies / Behaviours
TEAMWORK AND COLLABORATION
- Works constructively with colleagues within the team and across the broader organisation; gives and obtains co-operation and acts to minimise unproductive conflict within the team.
- Works with others to build effective team and wider-team relationships – is a team player.
- Respects and shows consideration for others. Works co-operatively towards shared objectives.
- Empowers a team to maximise their power and effectiveness.
COMMUNICATION AND INFLUENCE
- Communicates ideas and directions effectively both orally and in writing, a confident public speaker.
- Uses a variety of approaches to persuade, convince or influence individuals or groups to gain commitment to company strategies, plans and support for own ideas and initiatives.
- Uses contacts and networks to seek buy-in for plans and proposals.
- Listens effectively and probes for new and diverse ideas; is open to reason and new arguments.
- Uses facts and personal conviction to influence and persuade; adapts their style to the audience and situation/moment.
- Acts to anticipate meet and exceed the needs and expectations of stakeholders.
- Works to understand internal and external client or stakeholder needs.
- Delivers outstanding stakeholder service in all activities.
- Maintain a balance between the interest of stakeholder and the organisation.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Takes safety of stakeholders, employees, self, suppliers and the public seriously.
- Understands own and others’ role in emergency situations and minimises risk.
- Uncompromisingly drives safe practice.
- As a member of Development staff, the individual fully understands the relevance of sustainability to them and to the business.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
- Understands, respects and meets the needs of diverse workforce and clients.
- Active opposition to any form of discrimination.
PERFORMANCE, DRIVE AND RESULTS DELIVERY
- Acts with a ‘can do’ attitude to do a better job and continually improve own performance, puts drive and energy into achieving results, takes action to exceed goals and expectations
- A person who demonstrates this competency effectively:
- Uses goals to continually improve personal and team performance
- Drives to ensure the delivery of project metrics, reporting and flagging potential challenges and solutions
- Regularly measures performance against key internal success indicators and appropriate benchmarks
- Suggest and introduces significant improvements to processes, operations and practices
- Creates new solutions and instigates timely reviews of progress to deliver objectives.
- Pro-actively identifies ways to optimise project performance and takes the initiative to instigate new and best practices
- Document and shares lessons learnt on projects with the wider team to avoid the business making the same mistakes on future projects.
- 5 Years (Development Manager) in Development Management
- A range of real estate industry experience including extensive Residential experience
- Proven competency to carry out the responsibilities outlined above
- Good people management skills, including the ability to upwardly manage Clients.
- Innovative with excellent planning, negotiation and issue resolution skills
- Understanding and experience of the development, master planning & town planning process
- Substantial competency in managing design, and delivery of residential product
- Commercial acumen and negotiation skills
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Relevant degree or equivalent
- Should have a demonstrable track record in residential based design and project
management on several development projects
- Experience in managing Clients, authorities, stakeholders, design consultants,
planning consultants, contract management, conceptual design, procurement execution, cost
management, understanding of technical and design risk, forming and managing effective
For the right candidate, they can offer an extremely competitive salary, along with generous car allowance, pension, bonus, family health cover, excellent pension scheme and flexible holidays system. The company have not furloughed any staff and have no intention of doing so.
Interested? then contact John Tempest on 07885 774155 or apply to firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com