Organiser: Hill International Manchester
Location: Davenport Green Hall, Manchester Airport, WA15 8UD
Phone: 0161 848 5950
Managing delay and disruption in construction contracts and the future of construction in 2010
- Discover latest developments in construction and dispute resolution law
- Obtain knowledge to manage and avoid disputes
- Discuss the future of UK construction under the new Government
- Minimise risks
- Develop new skills with leading experts
Order of the day:
8.45am Reception and Introduction: by Dr Franco Mastrandrea,Hill International. An introduction to the masterclass and brief overview of the themes of the day.
9am Risk Management: Damian Wilkinson, Hill International
- The effect of risk, and causes of project failure
- The importance of risk management
- Key principles of risk management
- Introduction to practical risk management for all parties
9.40am Developing a Programme for Delay Analysis: Claire Wilkinson, Hill International.
- Elements of a useful Master Programme
- Ensuring suitability for later analysis
- What to do if you didn't start with a suitable programme
- What factors can affect delay analysis
- Overview of analysis methodologies
10.40am Contract Drafting and Modification: Barry Goodall, Davies Arnold Cooper LLP
- Why is the contract so important?
- How best to approach the contract
- Do we need specialist help?
- Reviewing the proposed contract
11.20 Record Management and Control: Andrew Glover, Hill International
- Why keep records?
- What to record and how – systems of document control
- Ensuring records are effective and useful should a claim arise
1pm Notices, Claims and How to Manage Them: Simon Chamberlain, Eversheds LLP
- Dealing with notices under standard contract forms
- Why notices are crucial to success
- Managing delay and disruption
- Ensuring notices are issued correctly and in time to take effect
1.45pm Handling Claims and Presenting Them in Different Forums: Simon Palmer, Addleshaw Goddard LLP
- Tips for ensuring successful presentation
- What information to include
- What information not to include
- What is expected in adjudication, arbitration, and other forms of dispute resolution
2.45pm Alternative Dispute Resolution Methods: Ken Salmon, Mace and Jones
- What alternatives to dispute resolution are available
- Expert Determination, Mediation, Negotiation
- What is the most cost effective solution?
- How to determine the best form of resolution
3.15pm What Makes a Good Expert and Why? David Carrick, Hill International
- What is the purpose of expert evidence?
- What features to look for in a 'good' expert
- Where to look for an expert
- Why use experts?
4pm After the Election: The Future of UK Construction with guests:
- Chair – Hazel Blears
- Prof Peter McDermott, University of Salford
- David Moss – Hammonds
- Gary Blackburn – Hill International
A panel discussion/debate on the future of UK construction, particularly in the North of the UK, subsequent to the 2010 General election – featuring leading academic, technical, legal and political experts.
5pm Close and questions
5.15pm-7pm Drinks reception