Location: The Lowry Theatre, Salford, Manchester
About the conference
This conference on the UK’s North-South divide, the North of England and the Northern Powerhouse will also see the launch of ResPublica North, a new organisation to build a powerful platform for the advocacy of unity, spread of prosperity and strengthening of society across the North.
- The conference will be a full day event from 10.30am – 5.30pm
- Networking drinks until 6.30pm
- VIP dinner from 6.30pm to 8.30pm
- Rt Hon Greg Clark MP, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
- James Wharton MP, Minister for the Northern Powerhouse
- Dan Jarvis, leading Labour backbencher
- Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council
- Joe Anderson, Mayor of Liverpool
- Ivan Lewis MP, Manchester mayoral candidate
- Cllr Paul Watson, Sunderland City leader
Breakout sessions and speakers:
- Health: George Freeman, Health Minister
- Energy: Lisa Nandy, Shadow Energy Secretary
- Education: Lucy Powell, Shadow Education Secretary
- Transport: John Cridland, Transport for the North
- Innovation: Lord Heseltine
Finding True North is the next step forward for the Northern Powerhouse agenda, placing identity, culture, collaboration, and innovation at its heart.
It will look to extend the thinking which has so far focused mainly on the economic. While no one can deny that enabling economic growth and jobs is for many the only route out of poverty, the Northern Powerhouse is equally an opportunity to put society, and ultimately the communities and people for whom the benefit will accrue, back on the agenda.
The Government has pledged to “make the cities of the north a powerhouse for our economy again”. George Osborne has made it clear that he is “prepared to invest significantly to make it a reality”, and the new City Deals show the Government’s level of commitment to this vision. But this major conference will be the first to bring together the leaders – political and cultural, from business and communities – who shoulder the responsibility of delivering real change to create a better and more balanced country.
The time is now for the North to capitalise on this political consensus, converting the desire for change into real action, and we would be delighted to have you with us to discuss the future of housing policy across the North in a new age of devolved power.